Warsaw’s Old Town Market Place, which dates back to the end of the 13th century, is the true heart of the Old Town, and until the end of the 18th century it was the heart of all of Warsaw. The houses around it represented the Gothic style until the great fire of 1607, after which they were rebuilt in late-Renaissance style.
The Old Town was utterly destroyed, like the rest of Warsaw, in the closing phases of the Second World War. After World War II, the Old Town was meticulously rebuilt. As many of the original bricks were reused as possible.
Warsaw’s Old Town has been placed on the UNESCO’s list of World Heritage Sites as “an outstanding example of a near-total reconstruction of a span of history covering the 13th to the 20th century”.
Old Town, Warsaw, Poland